SHL’s objective is to preserve and grow its capital.
It pursues its objective through:
- Sophisticated asset allocation. Drawing on its institutional learning and on the guidance of its Board and advisers, SHL chooses asset classes in which to invest that enable it, through diversification by geography, sector and type, to maximise its returns with less volatility.
- Rigorous selection of managers, funds and advisers. Using its network of relationships and advisers, SHL selects partners with the strongest track records in their given asset class and then gives them financial incentives and risk constraints that align them, as far as possible, with SHL.
- State-of-the-art performance monitoring and measurement. SHL stringently monitors the performance of its asset allocation and amends it in the light of experience and of new trends. It also uses sophisticated measurement of its managers’ performance as a basis for the informed long-term development of its manager relationships.
- A long-term approach. Stable capital enables SHL to hold to a long-term perspective, giving it the resilience and resolve to weather market shocks without having to follow the crowd. This gives it a critical advantage over many other institutional investors in generating sustained returns which have been well above average, especially in difficult times.
- Agility. SHL has the flexibility and temperament to grasp new opportunities presented by evolving global trends at an early stage.